Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Self-Pity Pit

Do you ever fall into the self-pity pit? You know the one where you lament about all that is going wrong in your life. At times my pit is VERY large and I get lost in there. I have been in this pit for months now and I am tired of the view. Because in that pit lives depression, anger, jealousy, greed, and self-loathing. Not very good companions!! Satan has a lounge chair in the pit. He whispers "God is not hearing you" in your ear. He feeds you the crumbs of doubt everyday. He is right at home in this vile pit. And Satan knows how hard it is to climb out. He is pulling at your feet as you are reaching up to God for help.

Today, I read that Phil Michelson's (famous golfer for all you non -sports moms)mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. His wife was diagnosed in April of this year with the same type of cancer. I was listening to christian radio yesterday when I heard a horrific story of a family that was driving home from ministering to a group of Native Americans and their struggle with alcoholism and was hit head-on by a drunk driver. The mother, grandmother, one of the children were killed in that crash. The drunk driver was not seriously injured but his pregnant wife and unborn child were killed instantly.

How is my self-pity pit looking now? I am blessed beyond measure. I could list them all but it would take days. But just that I am a child of God and that His grace covers me is the most profound blessings I own. They are the ladder out of the pit. In fact they can fill the pit completely. Satan is buried with God's grace.

Psalms 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord;
He turned to me and heard my cry.
He Lifted me out of the slimy pit.
Out of the mud and mire. And
gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth;
A hymn of praise to our God
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord

I am trying to shovel dirt into my pit. Please bear with me dear friends.
I have a big hole to fill, but with God's help and yours I can begin to be the
person God desires me to be. If you have a shovel handy, come on over!

2 comments:

Lacy said...

Well written friend...sorry that life is on "this" road right now. You have a great attitude and WILL get strong arms using that shovel and WILL see whats to come very soon.

Ill be right over with my shovel.

spanki said...

we have all been there, and unfortunately that pit is lurking for our unstable foot at all times, rest assured that God alone holds the largest shovel, and friends all over have a lending hand to pull you out!